LED lighting has a variety of uses, from lighting highways and parking lots to football stadiums and office buildings. Using an LED bulb for garage door opener is yet another way to benefit from their use.
Many people worry that using an LED bulb will interfere with the radio transmissions of their remote control to the garage door sensor or that it limits the range of its use. However, there are LED bulbs that eliminate the problem by cloaking the electromagnetic fields caused by the lights.
Features of Garage Door Opener LED Bulb
We sometimes do not understand what bulbs we will use. Because led bulbs in garage door opener are little different from home using bulb. We can not fit home used bulb in the garage. There are many warnings to use the bulb in the garage. Some problems point out below :
- Radio Interference: Garage door opener technology uses a frequency spectrum range between 300-400 MHz (Wikipedia).
- Vibration: Due to shutter or any reason the door does vibrate.
- Temperature: Damp location and cold weather
I think you understand now; you will have to buy bulbs after seeing all of the issues.
The specialty of the bulb that fits the garage door opener :
- Radio frequency friendly
- Vibration Resistant
- Long lasting
- Energy Savings
To get started with good led bulb, from the market here are 5 best LED light bulbs for garage door opener 2018.
5. MIRACLE LED – Best For Garage Door/Shop/Fan Light Bulb
This bulb saves a lot of energy with its minimal consumption of just 12 watts of power. Also, it doesn’t dissipate heats. Moreover, it is one of the finest bulbs in the market today and can withstand extreme environmental conditions. It has a wide of applications. For instance, it can be used in the garage, in homes and also in shops.
How Bright Is This Bulb?
12 watts bulb produces 1100 Lumens lumen of Daylight Bright White.
It can be used at the garage door opener, in the fans, or in places that experience high vibrations that may damage the normal bulbs.
It has a long lifespan of about 20000 hours. It is manufactured with elements that do not pollute the environment thus meaning it is free from lead and mercury. It uses a LED chip that is so efficient and facilitates energy saving.
- It dissipates no or minimal heat thus making it safe.
- It does not produce any substance that may pollute the environment this making it eco-friendly.
- It is resistant to vibrations and shocks. This enables it to withstand the continuous vibrations on the garage door opener.
- It is energy saving this is because of its low consumption per hour. This makes it efficient and the best to be used.
- Last but not the least, it is long-lasting. This facilitates the reduction in cost.
4. TORCHSTAR – Best Garage Door Opener LED Bulb
It is currently best led light bulb for garage door opener in the market. It is designed in a way that it reduces radio frequency effects and it fits most major garage . It has no flickers or hummers making it suitable for operation garage.
How Bright Is This Bulb?
It considers 15 watts and produces 1600 lm of Warm White (3000k).
By this bulb, you can save up to 85% on electric bills because of its the ideal replacement of 100W incandescent light bulb.
- It has less interference because it is resistant to impact and vibrations.
- It has a good performance. This is because it’s of high quality and also durable.
- It suits humid and damp conditions and locations.
- It’s noise free and causes no disturbances. It is built in a way that it eliminates radio frequencies making it have a smooth operation.
- It’s so bright despite its low power consumption of just 15 watts with a light intensity of 1600lm and enables clear vision. This makes it an energy saving bulb with high efficiency.
- It illuminates all they the area they are supposed to. This includes all angles. This provides a clear and a better vision making it the best.
- It is long lasting and can last up to 18 years. This helps in reducing the replacement costs and maintenance.
- It is eco-friendly. This is because it is free from mercury and ultraviolet lights which may affect your vision.
3. SkyGenius – Best For Indoor Outdoor Large Area
This is one of the best bright LED light, it’s strong and durable because its housing is made of pure aluminum.It is of high quality and can withstand high temperatures. Moreover, it produces a light color which is not blurred and also it does not heat up.
How Bright Is This Bulb?
It considers 25 watts and produces 3500lm of Cool White (6000k~6500k).
This is equivalent to 200-watt incandescent bulb, that means it will save energy bills. These super bright bulb is using large areas outdoors. Street Lamp Post Lighting, Garage Factory Warehouse, etc.
- It is so bright though it only consumes 25 watts of power. This helps in saving the energy instead of using the incandescent bulbs which consumes ten times what it consumes.
- It’s long lasting and it gets upgraded each year. For instance the year 2017 versions are upgraded versions of the year 2016.
- Its housing is made from a type of aluminum called aviation that enables dissipation of heat and make it corrosion resistance.
- It can be used in many ways because of its unique features of energy saving and its long-lasting capability, though the best fit is the outdoor lighting projects.
- Another good advantage of this bulb is that it has an IC that is highly rated and intelligent that makes it be long-lasting.
- It illuminates the light all over the area it is fitted to serve.
- It is light in weight.
- Last but not the least, it is easy to install.
2. Grimaldi Lighting – Best for Indoor
In the cheap led light bulbs, this bulb has come in the market for garage door opener. The feature of this bulb is that there will be no problem in the vibration because this is Vibration Resistant which is perfect for garage door bulb.
How Bright Is This Bulb?
Energy uses 5 watts and produces 400 lumens of Pure White (5000K).
An A15 style this bulb is slightly smaller than a standard bulb (Approx 1.8 inches diameter, 3.2 inches long) and the base is medium (E26).
- Power Saving. The output of this light is equal to a 40W incandescent bulb.
- Can be used in the refrigerator.
- If you do not like it, you can replace it, but you should ask before.
- Protects from vibrate because its made Vibration Resistant
- According to product guide, this bulb will last for 20 years.
1. GENIE – Best For Garage Door Openers
The genie is one of the best garage door opener light bulb. Its design specifically fits the garages. Usually, they are made to reduce disturbances at the openers on the garage doors.
How Bright Is This Bulb?
Its rated 10 watts and produces 800lm of warm brightness.
This bulb is the long lasting that estimeted 25,000 hours . This made to withstand the harder conditions of the garage
- Compared to the traditional LED bulbs that produce noise that affects radio frequencies, the genie LED bulb is noise free and it does not affect radio frequencies.
- Also, it’s built in a way that they suites the extreme environment in the garages.
- It illuminates a damp garage to low-level temperatures of -30C because they are made in such a way that they are cold tested and damp locations rated.
- In addition, it can also condone shaking forces caused by the vibration of the garage door and thus restrain it from breakage. This is because it is made from materials which are resistant to vibration and shatter.
- Moreover, it is made in a way that they can suit any major garage doors.
- Lastly, it’s efficient in providing energy and can operate for up to approximately 3 years. It depends on local utilities. It saves energy despite being very bright and only uses 60 watts of power.
Benefits of LED light bulb
Resistant – LED bulbs are strong enough to endure weather extremes. This makes a difference when you live in areas that can be very hot during the summer or exceptionally cold throughout the winter. Many bulbs are tested to withstand temperatures as cold as -30 Fahrenheit. They are also good at handling the dampness caused from long rains and high humidity.
Durability – Incandescent lights are easily broken, especially after they have sat in the cold for several hours before turning on again. One shake can break the light. However, LED bulbs can easily withstand the rough vibrations caused by the opening and closing of heavy garage doors. In this case, there is no need to worry about glass shattering from heavy shaking regardless of how long it has sat unused.
Efficiency – These LED bulbs are very energy efficient as well.There is a noticeable difference between the amounts of wattage they use compared to the electricity usage of other normal household items. A halogen light uses 40 watts of electricity, and a curling iron will use far more – 150 watts. A toaster oven takes as much as 1200 watts to power. Most LED bulbs for garage will use as little as 10 watts of electricity.
Saving You Money – Because many of these light reduce use a low amount of lumens to emit light, they use less power. This translates into a more savings on your utility bill. Moreover, even if the lumens are as low as 300, an LED will still provide extreme brightness that is sufficient enough to light your entire garage.
Longevity – LED bulbs last far longer than normal florescent bulbs. In fact, the LED bulbs will last as much as 25% longer. The average shelf life for LED bulbs, with the assumption that they are used two to three hours per day, is as long as 25,000 hours. No need to worry about changing the bulb every two months.
Mild Temperature – LED lighting emits very little heat. This quality is particularly important. Regular bulbs contain air. When that air grows cold, the heat from the copper wire can cause the bulb to expand rapidly. This in turn will burst the glass or increase its susceptibility to breakage.
No Worries About House Fires – Incandescent bulbs, if left on for even a minute, will scorch a finger or two if you touch one. These traditional bulbs use as much as 75 watts of electricity, so the heat they emit can grow extremely hot. If placed close to flammable materials like plastics or cloth, one bulb could cause a house fire. Because LED remain relatively cool, there is little concern regarding fires.
Lumen & Wattage Comparison of LED & Incandescent bulb
The chart in below you can get the comparison of LED and Incandescent light bulbs. And LED is the more energy saving and long lasting than other CFL, Incandescent.
|Lumens (Brightness)||LED Watts||Incandescent Watts|
|400 – 500||6-7W||40W|
|650 – 850||7 – 10W||60W|
|1000 – 1400||12 – 13W||75W|
|1450-1700+||14 – 20W||100W|
|2700+||25 – 28W||150W|
It was quite amusing to test all the bulbs; still, it was considerably difficult as each bulb has its unique features and I had to experiment with dozens of LED light bulbs and take into lots of factors to come to this conclusion.
At the end of the roundup, I am confident enough to say that I have been able to make sure almost all the LED light bulbs that are available in the market get tested because this is the only way I can decide which product will work for you.
Taking everything into account, I would like to state that I trust this list to help you and encourage you to find the best possible LED light bulb you are looking for your garage door opener. Of course, there is going to be lots of recommendations from other websites, but I can only say what I found to be excellent and effective. In case you think the list could have had more options added, feel free to let us know your suggestions and opinions on the comment section, and we would love to test them for you.